Re: sum of child rates exceeds parent rate

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 23:58, arek@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Wow wow, wait !
> >
> > Ok :)
> >
> > > you can have 100 child classess in a sum of 100Megs, root class equal
> > > 10Megs.
> > > the sum of all child classes will be 10Megs, and no more (if
> >
> > you ceil root
> >
> > > rate to 10Megs it at htb)
> >
> > Wrong.  The configured rate of a class is _always_ satisfied.
> > If you have a
> > 100M link, a parent class ceiled to 10M and 100 classes with
> > rate = 1M, each
> > class will get 1M.  So together they will get 100M.  And even if
> > that is more
> > the the ceil of the parent.
> > So you can overlimit a parent class.
>
> Well, i must practice that.
> I've always thougght that root/parent queue tell lower queues to start
> dropping packets.
It's the other way around.  The class needs a token to send a packet.  As long
as the class has tokens, it can send packets.  If the class has used all his
tokens, it asks the parent if he has tokens left.

> Sure, you must be right, the queues will be told to drop packets, but they
> will not do it unless they get their typed rate.
Think about a bucket with tokens, not rate:
bucket size = burst
rate of new token entering bucket = rate
1 token = 1 packet
(this is for rate and ceil)

> So if any of my 100 queues have 1Mbit traffic, then lower queues will start
> to drop anything that is above 1Mbit for each queue individually.
Yes.

> So we overlimit 10Mbit celi about 10 times (in special case).
Yes.

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx