Newbie: Backup internet connection

I manage internet access for our company. We have our main link which is a 2 meg leased line, we then have a 2 meg adsl line for backup from a different ISP

What i want is live failover for outgoing traffic, not only for complete link failures but also when then main isp has routing issues to a given ip range (e.g during the recent disruption to 2 of the transatlantic links)

The solution should require little or no involvement from either isp, and if possible 'sensible routing'. What i mean by this is if we are making a connection to a ip that is on our backup ip's network it used that line rather than the main line

I have had a quick look at both BGP and OSPF but was not sure if either of them was the right solution for me

--

Will Tatam
Email / JID will@xxxxxxxxxxxx