Changing default route for an entire subnet/NIC

Greetings,

If you look at Section 4.1 of the howto, they give  asimple example of changing the default
route for a single IP address by doing the following

# echo 200 John >> /etc/iproute2/rt_tables
# ip rule add from 10.0.0.10 table John
# ip route add default via 195.96.98.253 dev ppp2 table John
# ip route flush cache

I'm trying to do something very similar, except that I want to route an entire class C subnet
out a different NIC card in my firewall..

I did the exact same thing as above except used the line

ip rule add from 192.168.0.1/24 table John
ip route add default via 192.168.1.1 dev eth4 table John

This doesn't work, what happens is that the entire subnet loses conect with the firewall, so DNS
lookups fail and I basically can't go anywhere. Using just one IP like the example above seems
to work fine..

Any ideas?