Re: tc filter scalability

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, John Hanlon - Central Coast Internet wrote:

>     Has anyone tested the scalability of using tc filters? I have a box
> which I require to traffic shape each individual client by IP Address using
> u32 identifiers. My concern though, is that each client requires 2 filters
> (data from and to the box) and there are a few hundred clients minimum.
> Which means each packet may have to pass through a few hundred or possibly
> thousand filters to determine its path. Is this going to give significant
> latency issues? Or excessive server load?

One thing -- u32 is not a "cascade" (or chain) of filters.  If you enter
10000 filter matches for src address, it will _NOT_ mean that to find
10000th host, you would have to "go through" 9999 other.  It would be
the case if you used ip tables.  u32 is a hash table.  A hash key is
calculated from packet entering the kernel, and then this key is
looked up in the table, so there is no difference in speed when
getting first or 10000th target. :-)

  Regards,
    Dawid