Nano and "stateful" protocols?

On some of nano-setups that I run, the users complain (dont they always? ;-) about being unable to use https and sometimes http, tyically in cases where there is a login (and a corresponding cookie), ICQ and other systems that not always keeps the initial connection.

They complain about being "thrown off" and the like.

To me it seems to me that the nano-setup and, thus, the routing is to blame in some way.

To resolve the issue in a quick way I can just tie, say, https to a given Internetconnection, but I'd rather avoid this because the systems are made with a bunch of el-cheapo DSLs and they break down every once in a while and I'd like all DSLs to be used equally.

Can these protocols be "helped" in some way while still keeping the nano-setup in some form?

--
Mvh. / Best regards,
Steen Suder		<http://www.suder.dk/>