Re: Bandwidth and traffic priotization and throttling

Good morning, Leon,

 : I'm trying to setup my server to bandwidth control. Where we live
 : bandwidth is very expensive and we need to closely monitor it. We'll
 : buy 512kbps and this will have to be shared between 4 companies. Thus
 : giving everybody a minimum if 128kbps but it must be burstable to
 : 512Kbps if availible.

It is absolutely possible to do this.  I would recommend using HTB (for
bandwidth shaping and sharing) in conjunction with tcng (for easier
configuration).  I have an article [0] that covers this combination in
particular, although you'll still need to gain an understanding of the
system before you can work with these tools [1].

 : Can you please give me a good article or howto, explaining the steps
 : required.

I'd suggest starting with the links describing the entire traffic control
systetm [1], and then read the more specific content.  Don't forget to
consult (search through) the LARTC archive [2] and Stef Coene's pages [3].

 : I'll have 4 network cards for internal traffic and 1 for the internet.
 : Can I set bandwidth throttling per network card?

Yes.  Absolutely.

-Martin

 [0] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-tcng-HTB-HOWTO/
 [1] http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/faq/cache/46.html