Re: help with tc script to manage bandwidth

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 16:19, makinde olojede wrote:
> Please can anybody provide a tc script and any other necessary detail to
> manage my bandwidth that can just fit into my network. These are what I
> want to achieve.
>
> 1. I want to dedicate 32K for my IP phone to have a clear phone call.
> 2. I want all the computers on my network to share the remaining
> bandwidth(N.B My ISP allocated a    bandwidth of 64K uplink and 128K
> downlink) in such a way that all    the computers must share    equal
> bandwidth and none of the computers should exhaust more than necessary
> bandwidth to    disturb others.Also the bandwidth should be shared based on
> the number of computers that are    active. i.e if few computers are
> available at any time they can use all the bandwidth shared    evenly.
Can be done.

> My intended network configuration are stated below:
>
> 1.I have a Linux box runing RH 9.0 with two network cards one(eth0)
> connected to my      ISP gateway modem with default gateway IP as
> 10.0.0.254.The other network card(eth1) connected directly to my 24port hub
>   through which my entire network is connected.
> 2. I assigned a private ip
> address to eth0 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 for eth1 .
??  Eth0 is connected to your ip so you need an ip address on eth0 that's in
the network of your ISP and this propably done with dhcp.

> 3. I have up to 20
> workstations which I will assign ip address ranging from 192.168.2.3-22
> with    their gateway set as 192.168.1.1.
Shouldn't the gateway be 192.168.2.1 ?

> 4. I have also set up the same
> Linux box as a proxy server to allow all http request from all computer on
> my LAN except 3computers with ip address 192.168.2.20-22 5. My ip phone
> with ip address 192.168.2.25 cannot be under the proxy server also.
This can be a problem.  If you want to shape traffic and you use a proxy
server on the same box, you don't know if the object was fetched from the
cache or from the internet.  Try to create a dedicated proxy server.

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"