Re: u32 filter won't match

Stef Coene writes:
 > On Sunday 23 November 2003 05:03, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
 > > So anyway, this is my qdisc setup:
 > >
 > > tc qdisc add dev eth1 root handle 1: cbq bandwidth 10mbit \
 > >     avpkt 1000 rate 750kbit cell 8
 > > tc qdisc add dev eth1 parent 1: handle 2: prio bands 4
 > > tc qdisc add dev eth1 parent 2:1 handle 3: sfq perturb 10
 > > tc qdisc add dev eth1 parent 2:2 handle 4: sfq perturb 10
 > > tc qdisc add dev eth1 parent 2:3 handle 5: sfq perturb 10
 > > tc qdisc add dev eth1 parent 2:4 handle 6: sfq perturb 5
 > >
 > > So far so good. All packets go to the right qdisc among 3: - 5: (As
 > > seen with "tc -s qdisc ls"). However, when I add the filter to make
 > > packets with TOS 0x1E go to 6:, I set it up like this:
 > >
 > > tc filter add dev eth1 parent 1: protocol ip prio 1 \
 > >     u32 match ip tos 0x1e 0xff flowid 6:
 > You are making a lot of errors.  You add a root cbq qdisc, that's fine, but
 > you need to add a class if you want to bound it to a rate.

I see. That does explain a lot of things I haven't been able to pull
together, actually. Thank you very much for pointing that out.

 > If you add a filter to a qdisc, it has to point to a class of that
 > qdisc.  Not to an other class.

That confuses me a bit. It does certainly make it work, and it does
certainly make sense. However, in the advanced routing howto, section
9.5.2.1, it seems to very much implicate that you can create filters
like that. Is that howto wrong or did I misinterpret something? If you
want to see it, follow this URL:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.qdisc.classful.html

 > > (The strange thing is that when I used "parent 2:", no filter was
 > > added at all... What's up with that?)
 > Try
 > tc -s -d filter show dev eth1 parent 2:

Hehe... Don't I feel stupid now... Oh well, at least now I know (I
thought all filters were in a per-interface namespace). Thank you for
pointing that out.