ideal router distribution

Title: ideal router distribution

I have acquired a dual 10/100 intel nic for my router (yay!). I have a question: What would characterise the ideal distribution for router + mini file server sort of work? Personally I use gentoo and I like it because I can take advantage of constantly updating s/w packages by compiling from source.

However for a router, I think one would want a stable, secure/hardened distribution that handles patches well and any changes to kernel and/or packages can be rolled back in case an upgrade goes wrong.

Any advice/suggestion is most appreciated!

Thanks a lot!!
-Sumeet

ps I don't know if someone has experimented with a back-up system images i.e. an initrd based system, so the root fs is always in the initrd and an upgrade is a matter of swapping out kernel and/or initrd image?