Re: Re: dead onlink

Marcelo wrote:
>  default
>         nexthop via 192.168.0.126 dev eth2 weight 1 dead onlink
>         nexthop via 192.168.0.61 dev eth0 weight 1
>
>  Is normal the part of "dead onlink" ?
No, it is not normal.  I don't know what "onlink" means, but "dead"
means just what you fear it means; eth2 has been set dead by the
kernel.  It could be a routing issue or it could be your firewall, or
possibly the NIC is telling the kernel something bad?

You really need to run
# ip route list table eth2
# ip route list table eth0
# ip route list table main
to see what is going on.  And assure that when only eth2 is up that you
can surf (perhaps unplug the WAN wire on eth0?).

>  This message is always there but the 192.168.0.126 gateway is online.
Are you 100% sure it is online?  I have NEVER seen "dead" unless it was
true.  I _have_ been able to send/receive on a different (wrong)
interface while one interface was dead.  (I have 3 ISPs)

>  Do I need the Julian's dead gateway detection patch?.
Well, whether you "need" it or not, I strongly recommend you apply it.

You might also want to use
# ip route add default   equalize   scope global nexthop via BLAH
BLAH...
rather than
# ip route add default scope global nexthop via BLAH BLAH...

If you run a kernel version 2.4.22 you will need to tweak Julian's patch
(I could only find a patch for 2.4.20); if you want my tweaked version
(2.4.22) you can FTP it from andthatsjazz.net/pub/linux/.

And I use KeepState (see nano.txt), though I have NO CLUE why it is A
Good Thing <grin>.  I do not ping from inside though.  I run a dgd ping
from outside; when the ping fails I scp a flag file to the multilink
setup that triggers a flush there.

>  Thanks in advance.
>
> Marcelo.
gypsy