Re: Limiting incoming and outgoing traffic

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 15:02, Luciano Lima wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read the wondershaper.htb script and realise that it only uses one
> device: ppp.
>
> I have no experience with htb, but I thought that we could only shape
> outgoing traffic for an interface.
> How could the script be written to limit incoming and outgoing traffic
> for the same interface ?
You said it right.  You can only shape outgoing traffic, but you can limit
incoming and outgoing traffic.  So limiting is not shaping.

For instance, you can limit the incoming traffic from 1 hosts.  Only limiting.
You can not say (at least not easy), "if there is other bandwidth left, the
host can use all of it, but it has throttle down to 40% if there is other
traffc.".  The latter is shaping and can only be done on outgoing traffic.

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"