Re: New member

Hi Edmund

OK, sorry 'bout that.

Say for example that I have a webserver and I only want that thing to push
512kbit out. The only way that I see that I would be able to limit this kind
of outbound traffic with the tc classifier is if I knew which ip's will be
visiting web-pages.  If this was the situation I would be able to have a long
list of rules that all look something like
	.. u32 match ip src xxx.xxx.xxx.xx flowid 1:1
or something

Unfortunately there is about a few million possible ipv4 addresses that can
access the box if they really felt like it.

This could problem could possibly be solved by having a rule like this :

	.. u32 match ip sport 80 match ip src (webserver) flowid whatever

But the real problem lies in limiting ftp, since ftp (at least the way i
thought it works. could be wrong. probably am)
just does the whole auth section on sport 20/21 and
the data transfer actually take place on a random 1024+ source port
and a random 1024+ destination port.

This would be perfectly solved with iptables marking because one
should be able to do something like

--append PREROUTING -m state --state ESTABLISHED, RELATED --jump MARK
--set mark 1   { please excuse the line wrapping }

thanks a lot for your time
cilliè