Re: Bandwidth shaping help

On Thursday 30 October 2003 15:34, Ryan Vilim wrote:
> Oh, I am sorry I probably should have specified the setup of my network
> (stupid mistake by me :p). I have a server (linux) a laptop (linux) and
> my parents computer (windows). These are all connected to the internet
> via my router which is just a store bought, 4 port wireless routers. I
> want to control the bandwidth leaving my server on ports 80, 21, and the
> bittorrent ports because if someone is downoading from my webserver
> while I am getting anime off bittorrent, then the internet slows to a
> crawl because all of the upstream is used. Since none of the other
> computers ever participate in any upload-heavy activities I figure that
> 10kilobytes per second would be enough for them. However I still want
> the ability to copy at Ethernet speeds from the samba server on my
> server, use VNC to control my server (it has an audigy 2 in it so I have
> my speakers and headphones hooked up to it, then use vnc to controll
> xmms), and basically do any other miscellaneous high bandwidth
> activities from within my network.
For the LAN nic, you have to do something like this (this is for downloads):
1:0
  1:1
	LAN traffic, rate = 10Mbit-128kbit, ceil = 10mbit-128kbit
  1:2
	internet traffic, rate = 128kbit
    1:20 : port 80, 21 and bittorent
    1:21 : other traffic
      1:211 : you
      1:210 : mom
      1:210 : daddy

Stef

Ps. You don't need vnc to control xmms :
libxmms-perl - Interactive remote control for XMMS (X MultiMedia System) in
perl

XMMS is a multimedia player for X windows.  This perl package contains a
'shell' for interacting with a running XMMS via IPC to control songs and
playing.  A perl interface to the XMMS config, remote and other utilities are
provided via this package as well.

This library exists at http://www.cpan.org

xmms-infopipe - General plugin for XMMS, reports real-time information to a
pipe.

This plugin allows you to read XMMS information from a named pipe.

Usable for webpages, irc-clients and where you would like real-time
information from XMMS. Shows song position, song, length, playlist position,
status (stoped/playing/paused), song title displayed by XMMS and filename.
Easy parsable textformat.

xmms-shell - XMMS Shell - Interface to control XMMS from the Console.

This is a shell to control xmms from the linux-console. You can edit the
playlist, change skins, play, control the volume and much more.

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"