Re: default route

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 04:29:25PM +1000, Damion de Soto wrote:
> >Is it possible to use more than one default route? I believe yes.
> >Any comments on them. If I use more than one, where will the trafficc be
> >diverted from?

> That's a good question.  I was going to answer your other post, but did
> some tests
> which contradicted what I was going to say.
>
> I originally thought if you had two default routes on the same metric,
> traffic would just go out the first one, however, when I tried this
> earlier, I started losing packets, so I can only assume the packets were
> going out the other route, and then getting lost. anyone comment on this ?

A friend of mine says that if y ou have 2 default routes on different
subnets each the routing will be done randomly. Unfortunately I do not
have that kind of setup to test.
I did it on same subnet using 2 default routes and found that I was
losing packets too.

> If you use the ip route tool to created multiple weighted or equalized
> default routes, you then use source-based routing to make sure that the
> traffic goes back out the same route it came in on.
> (unless you're trying to be tricky with asymetrical routing)

Isn't random routing (without depending on source) easy to implement
than source based routing?
Can you please tell what you mean by using ip route to create multiple
weighted routes? I have absoluttely no idea what ip command does
exactly. I am using just plain "route" and ifconfig. Are they
decrepated?

With warm regards,
-Payal

--
For GNU/Linux Success Stories and Articles visit:
          http://payal.staticky.com