RE: Missing parameter descriptions

>Damion de Soto wrote:
>Marko Buuri wrote:
>> I've been looking for descriptions of qdisc parameter
>"estimator" and u32
>> parameter "police" (defined by POLICE_SPEC), but in vain. I
>hope someone on
>> this list can explain these.
>Have you seen :
>http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.adv-filter.policing.html
>with examples for 'police'
>http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.synflood-protect.html
>and
>http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.ultimate-tc.html

Thank you for replying!

I find that POLICE_SPEC (term from tc command syntax, not found in the
HOWTO) isn't very well or perhaps clearly documented. I figure the first
page you sent is trying to say is that the syntax is more or less:

POLICE_SPEC = police [buffer [buffer] | maxburst [maxburst]] [mtu [mtu]
| minburst [minburst]] [mpu [mpu]] [rate [rate]] (continue | drop | pass
| reclassify)

However, the examples you sent are using parameter "burst" not listed
above. A novice as myself can find learning Linux traffic control a bit
confusing with this kind of discrepancies between the HOWTO, the command
syntax and the man pages.

>I'm not sure where examples are of 'estimator' usage.

If someone else here knows, please do tell.

Marko