ADSL with PPP failover

Hi - I've been looking around for simple answers to this for a while now,
but haven't been able to find any HOW-TO type documentation. I am
administering a site with a remote location connected primarily via a cipe
tunnel over a SHDSL connection. We also have a direct PSTN connection
between the sites. Seeing as phone calls here are not timed I plan to keep
the PSTN connection alive even when the cipe tunel is active. I am looking
for information as to the best way to set up this network, so that if the
cipe connection goes down all traffic is automatically routed over the ppp
connection, and when the cipe connection comes back up the traffic is once
again routed via the cipe connection.

We currently only have one remote location to worry about, but may soon be
expanding to multiple sites, with multiple links.

I originally thought that I'd be setting this up using weighting in the
routing table, but now believe that methodology is out of date even if it
would work - more recently I have been thinking that this sort of failover
setup would best be implemented using RIP (or is that out of date too?). I
was hoping that someone could tell me if I was headed in the right direction
before I set out reconfiguring the routing on all our servers. I'd also be
grateful for any pointers towards relevant reading or HOW-TOs that relate.

Using Linux 2.4 (Redhat 9)

Thanks in advance!

- Dan.

__________________________________
Euroluce Lighting Australia PTY LTD
92-94 Tennyson Road, Mortlake, NSW 2137
Ph: (02) 9743 6099   Fx: (02) 9743 6406
http://www.euroluce.com.au/

The contents of this email are confidential. If you are not, or believe you
may not be, the intended recipient of this email, please let us know by
reply and then delete it from your system. You should not copy the message
or disclose its contents to anyone. No warranty or other assurance is given
by us that this email is free of any virus or any other defect or error.

and do not necessarily represent those of the company. If verification is
required please request a hard-copy version.

Scanned by Inflex - Queries to: postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx