flushsing route cache

Hi,

  I'm working on multiple links routing strategy. Atleast one link is always up, this is asured. I'm using julian's dead gateway detection patch
to detect the gateway is down.

  What is the patch doing here. I'm not clear with the patch...

1] It cant detect the dead link by itself. got to do it using ping or  anything.

2]Ok we ping and tell the kernel the link is down, but it wont switch to the other up link immediately. we have to flush the cache for it to happen.
3] It wont come to the link if its up again... we have to flush the cache again..

My question is
1]Is there any way I can switch without flushing manully?

2]What is the patch doing here?

Please do respond soon as I'm in need of it immediately..

regards
vadiraj