Re: Htb on trunked line

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 06:41, Kristiadi Himawan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have configuration like this :
>
> DVB     Modem
> |                |                                 ___Link A
> \               /     trunk                    /
> CiscoRouter ------------CiscoSwitch-------Link B
>                                                  \___
>                                                         Link C
>
> Now i want to put a linux bandwith manager using htb to controll Link
> A-C bandwith,
> but i don't know where to put the linux pc.
> I ever try to put the linux pc at the trunked line between CiscoRouter
> and CiscoSwitch but found that all traffic always go to default class
> not to appropriate class
> and i think that's because of VLAN 802.1Q data format at that line so
> the filter always miss.
>
> Any suggestion abt this kind of configuration?

remove all the cisco equipment and replace with Linux..  8-)

Linux+iproute2+tc will easily do what you ask, and the cisco will not.
The answer is that simple.
I wish there was a nice GUI config for this, but there is not, and it is
very complicated for me to make.

I see your earlier question about "how to make this in Linux", and I
would suggest you replace your VLAN config with a new Linux IPRoute2+tc
config.  There will be a lot of reading for you to do, however.  8-/
Google for "policy routing" and read about policy routing theory.

I think cisco should be very concerned about the day that Linux
IPRoute2+tc has a GUI...  Perhaps, after that day cisco will suddenly
design routers that will run Linux.  8-))

best regards,
Steve