Re: counting web traffic

Hi Payal,

    Payal> Hi, When the webhosting comanies say that they give you say
    Payal> 10Mb webspace and 200Mb data transfer per month, how do
    Payal> they count data tranfer for that domain?

    Payal> I am unable to figure it out.

    Payal> With warm regards, -Payal p.s. hope this is not too OT
    Payal> here.

If you are giving one IP per site it's pretty simple: just have your
router account traffic by IP.  You can do it on the server system
itself too with fake (accounting-only) iptables rules.  See the
discussion here a couple of weeks ago for more details on how to
achieve that.

If you have IPs shared across multiple sites you need to do much more
work.  Depending on the services you're offering your clients, you may
have to make separate summations from HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP3, IMAP,
FTP and SSH logs (I wonder if ssh logs contain data transfers) and
summarise them into a single figure each month.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      http://kandalaya.org/