Re: Layer 7 application blocking via tc/iptables?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:54:41 +0200, Stef Coene <stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 22:25, Derek wrote:
Hi All,

I hope this is the correct place to ask about this, but can someone give me an example of blocking a certain application via the layer 7 patch and iproute/iptables?

For more of a specific example, I'm trying to block certain instant
messaging clients on my network, and I have yet to find a way to do it
(using mark or otherwise).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Iptables can look at the packet contents. If you know how the clients are negotiating with the servers, you can block these packets. Or try to find out the ports and ip addresses and block these.

Stef

In patch-o-matic there is a module called string which match if a string is present into payload.
Maybe you could use that but i can't say if it's stable or not.

--
Julien Gateaud
Security Keepers S.A.