[LARTC] Application routing

Hi,

I am fairly new to linux and am currently playing with routing.

I have a system which has two ethernet interfaces to cable modems. The cable modems have NAT active on them.
I also have one ethernet interface connected to my home LAN.
I have followed the documentation and have setup split access such that I can route answers to packets coming in over a particular provider back out again over that same provider.

I now want to be able to start an application and select the interface over which it will route frames.
For example:
If I use ping with the -i option the routing works.
However if I don't use the -i option then the network is deemed unreachable.
I would expect this as there is no route to the destination address in the tables and I assume that the source address that is being used has been taken from my
hostname which does not match either of my interfaces.

How do I solve this issue my current thoughts are

Add iptables entry when the process is created to set the MARK based on the owner e.g. SID or PID.
Add ip rule to route from MARK to the tables created as as result of split access.

Is this the most efficient method to achieve this solution or is there some other trick that I could use ?

Your help would be most appreciated :)

Paul