RE: [LARTC] Question on prio qdisc

Hi, Lars:

At 10:10 a.m. 08/07/03 +0200, you wrote:

> each queue is an independent queue. Then if high priority packets are
> dropped is because the high priority queue has overflow, not because some
> (unique?) queue is full from low priority packets.

I am little confused.  If typed ifconfig, we can see "txqueuelen:100".
Will this imply that all three bands hold by prio are sharing this 100
packages capacity, or can each of these three bands each occupy 100
packages in its buffer.  In the latter, this means prio can maximum occupy
300 packages...

This problem will also imply HTB and other schedulers..

Regards

Lars Landmark

I'm not very sure if the total queue length is 100 or 300 because I was searching the code and I can't find any information that tell me what the real length is.

Because "ip link" shows me that qlen is 100, I have to suppose that total
length is 100.

But anyway, PRIO queing discipline principle calls that each priority queue
is independent, then we can't have the prio 0 queue full of prio 1 or 2
packets (being the filters working well). It goes against the PRIO queuing
discipline principle.

In "Differentiated Service on Linux HOWTO" (work in progress) I present
a PRIO queuing discipline explanation using some documentation taken
from Juniper Networks. Have a look at http://opalsoft.net/qos.

Also if you read about Cisco PQ the principle is identical. If we don't
respect the principle, then the queue can be any sort of queue, but
certainly, not a PRIO queue. Then it´s not posible to ask on PRIO for something
that drops an already enqueue packet to make run for a new arriving one.

I suggest that configurations and tests made to reach that conclusions were revised.

Best regards,

Leonardo Balliache