[LARTC] bandwidth limiting incoming data

Hi

I am connected to the internet thru a 128kbps connection, with a single
box. There is no separate router.

I have a 'cvs update' going on for a rather large repository.
Whenever there is any HTTP traffic(browser/wget/apt-get etc), the CVS
traffic seems to come to a halt. So it looks like my ISP is giving
higher priority to HTTP traffic.

Is there any way I can give higher priority to the CVS traffic?

I have read lartc, but all the techniques it talks about
(cbq, htb etc) works only for outgoing traffic, not for incoming data.
I am not sure if the ingress qdisc is suitable for this problem

In freebsd, I could use 'ipfw pipes' to control incoming traffic too..
Is there a similar mechanism that can be done in linux?

Regards

Thanks in Advance!
--
K S Sreeram