Re: [LARTC] pushin htb + tc to the limits....kernel oops

Hey, Trevor,

[ cut ]
 :  Was testing out some practical issues of having 2000-4000 Classes and
 : filters for htb. My testbed for the same is my laptop.
 :
 :
 : * My Dell Lattitude runs RH 9.0
 : * 2.4.21 Stock kernel from kernel.org
[ cut ]

My testbed is a Duron@xxxxxx/256RAM with Debian Sid GNU/Linux, custom
kernel 2.4.21 with grsecurity. Tc is also hand compiled.

[ cut ]
 : * Till 2000 Classes with 1 u32 Filter per class on my DEV=ETH0 it works
 : fine.
 : * Above 2000 Classes and Filters i have some kernel oops...;)
 : * Machine just stalls / Freezes when i try to run a script adding more
 : than 2000 Classes and Filters.
 : * tc(patched for htb not the standard RH tc) refuses to show any classes
 : / qdiscs numbered > 2000 ( I may be wrong, but this is what i see on me
 : machine)
[ cut ]

I ran your script with no problem at all, at least my machine didnt freeze. ;)
The only thing I noticed was an error message, when adding this line:

tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:20010 htb rate 150kbit ceil 150kbit burst 2k cburst 2k quantum 1000

Which I suppose you wanted to be:

tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:2010 htb rate 150kbit ceil 150kbit burst 2k cburst 2k quantum 1000

After changing this line, everything went fine:

orange:/temp# time ./final.sh 2> test.txt

real    0m26.051s
user    0m10.790s
sys     0m13.590s

[ cut ]

 :  I Simply luv htb, am using it for my cable isp setup in bombay. Also i
 : needed to scale the number of users and this seems to be a hinderance.
 : Lemme know if there is a better workaround for the same. My htb config
 : as as attached and has been drawn up with inputs from stef, Deviks.s
 : docs and the others.
 :
 : Trevor

[ cut ]

I love working with htg, too. So I greatly appreciate what Martin Devera has done for us.
I'm using htb in production for more than a year now with around 2k client ips behind, and
it works fine. Also I think Stef Coene has mentioned that he once successfully added 10k
classes on a testbed.

So long,
Nickola