[LARTC] Tips & tricks regarding upload shaping

Hey everyone,
I think I finally figured it out what's the buzz with egress shaping, and
how to shape downloads... things seems to work pretty smooth so far.
But wait, there's more: now I want to shape uploads, because behind the
main router, there are important web, mail, irc etc. servers but also lots
of users which do massive peer-to-peer transfers, and heavy uploads seem
to kill my servers responses.
So that's my set up. I have thought of a root prio qd, with a tbf qd on
1:3 (the least important band), but it seems not to work as expected. So
hints/tips/tricks/suggestions/similar setups and solution are more than
expected.
Thanks in advance.

-----
Radu-Mihail Obada