Re: [LARTC] Prio queue with many bands

> > > Why do you think so?  I think you will surprised how many active classes
> > > an old 486 can handle.  It also depends on the maximum bandwidth the box
> > > has to shape.
> >
> > I think so because unlike simple prio queue htb has to maintain some timers
> > and counters and buffers. I'm not saying that htb is heavy, but I'm quite
> > sure that prio is lighter. I have to shape /19 at the moment and possibly
> > more in the future. In this case I want to save as much resourses as
> > possible and attach htb classes to the simple queue bands.
> /19 means 2^32 hosts = 8192 hosts.  I think a P2 can handle this load with no
> problems.  But it depends on the bandwidth it has to shape and the complexity
> of the filters.  I can do the test if you are interested.

Sure, I'm interested. As well as I'm interested to see your configuration to do so.
I'm still experimenting. Thanks Stef.
The problem is that the machine this all intended for is not a pure router/shaper, but
a server with current traffic about 10-15M. Its usage getting out of control and needs
to be shaped. At this point I have no idea how much resoures the traffic shaping would
consume and whether I have to introduce intermediate shaper device or I can configure
qos on the same machine.

> Stef

Michael