[LARTC] Layer-7 Filter

Hi,

Layer 7 filtering was a topic on slashdot !
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/30/180224&mode=thread&tid=106&tid=185

After reading some slashdot comments, I downloaded the source.  And I have
some comments on it.  I think these comments also belongs to the faq page of
the layer 7 filtering page.

First of all, this is not a packet filter, it's a connection filter.  So once
a connection is classified as http, all following packets beloning to that
connection are classified as http.  I just wonder if it also works for ftp
traffic with seperate command and data connections.

And only the first 8 packets of a connection are checked.  If no match is
found, the packets are not classified.  This also reduce the overhead of
checking each packet.  But from the patch :
+       if ( currentSockets[hash].hash == hash &&
+            (currentSockets[hash].num_pkts_so_far > 16 ||
+               currentSockets[hash].classified) )
And num_pkts_so_far is incremented each time we see a packet.  But we test for
"num_pkts_so_far > 16" and "not num_pkts_so_far > 8" ??

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"