[LARTC] Using routed and opening port 520

My Linux router (RH7.3) runs routed, and port 520 is NOT open for UDP.  The
box routes traffic between a LAN and two separate DSL-connected ISPs.

What benefits am I giving up by not having port 520 open?  What benefits
would I gain (if any) for sharing routing information with the ISPs over
the DSL connections?  What are the risks in opening that port?

Okay, it's just a newbie question, but I'm still trying to learn.

--Carol Anne