Re: [LARTC] How to prevent ARP Flux?

Hello Kjell,

 : Q1: What is the best way to prevent arp flux when running HTB 3.6 on 2.4.20
 : with static route patch?
 : I've got one nat'ed LAN and four ADSL interfaces and all five interfaces
 : have a HTB qdisc

ARP flux should not affect your use of HTB or the static route patch
(proto static, right?).  Why do you think you are having ARP flux woes?

 : Q2: When a cllient on LAN downloading/uplloading something from/to internet
 : I can see that cllient consuming bandwidth on all ADSL interfaces in iptraf.
 : Is this a bug in IPtraf or is it actually using bandwidth on all interfaces?
 : If it does, how do I prevent this?

Have you checked for iptraf updates?  I recall a recent update identifying
a bug in the statistics collection or calculation.

 : Does it have to do with arp flux?

I don't think so.

ARP flux occurs when there are multiple ethernet adaptors (often on a
single machine) which are willing to respond to an ARP query.  Other
machines on the segment may have ARP cache entries for either of these
link layer addresses, and in fact the link layer address may be address A
sometimes, and address B other times.  There is nothing intrinsically
wrong with ARP flux, however if you need greater control over the flow of
traffic through your network you will want to avoid it. [1]

[ Really--why are you convinced you have an ARP flux problem? ]

-Martin

 [1] http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-arp.html#ether-arp-flux

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx