Re: [LARTC] netfilter passive monitoring

On Monday 19 May 2003 17:04, Padraig Brady wrote:
> Hi, I've a passive monitor setup with 3
> network interfaces. eth2 is the management (normal)
> interface while eth0 and eth1 are my monitoring
> interfaces which never transmit.
>

> -----+-----+--------
>
>      eth0  eth1
>
> so eth0 monitors the traffic one way on the link
> and vice versa for eth1 (we're using a netoptics tap).
>
> Anyway my question is I would like to pass all
> traffic received on eth0 and eth1 into netfilter.
> I thought by placing my rules in the PREROUTING
> chain of the mangle table would work, since this
> happens before any routing decision is made.
> But the packets are never received by netfilter :-(
>
> The packets are entering the box because you can
> see/filter them using iptraf.
>
> #iptables -t mangle -L PREROUTING -v
> Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 189K packets, 61M bytes)
>   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out  source      destination
>
>      0     0            icmp --  eth0   any  anywhere    anywhere
>
>      0     0            icmp --  eth1   any  anywhere    anywhere
I think the nework cards are running in some sort of capture mode like if you
run tcpdump.  So they capture all packets that are on the wire.  But
iptables/netfilter only sees the packets entering the hosts.  So you can not
use iptables/netfilter to monitor all paclets on the wire.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"