[LARTC] HTB: why should "sum (rate of children) <= parent rate"?

Maybe this is just for Stef?

In answering Miernik's question (which Stef already answered), I read
this:

  http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/faq/cache/13.html

I thought it didn't matter what the rate was in a parent class?  I thought
that it only mattered what the ceil was in a parent class.  I'm doubting
myself now that I read this FAQ answer.

My understanding:

  The parent class is only consulted by the child class when the child
  class has exceeded its rate and wants to borrow from the parent.  So,
  the parent class rate is not consulted, but the ceil is used to
  determine whether or not to lend?

Is my understanding wrong?

What's the story!?

-Martin