Re: [LARTC] TCP Rate Control

On Wednesday, 14 May 2003, at 22:09:58 +0200,
Stef Coene wrote:

> But what exactly do you mean with tcp based rate control?

I suppose he means the way products like PacketShaper (from Packeteer)
work: instead of using queues to limit traffic, the use waht they call
"TCP rate control". It consists of modifiying TCP "packets" on the fly,
transparently, adapting TCP window sizes, shortly delaying ACKs, and so
on, so the sender and receiver "agree" to send traffic at a lower
(configured) rate.

Seems to be a patented "idea" in the USA, but I remember someone on this
list talked not long ago about he waaas implementing something like this
for Linux, from outside the USA. Check the archives for the message:
Subject: Re: [LARTC] How far can TC go?
From: Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:08:30 +0100

Hope it helps.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.5.69)