Re: [LARTC] TCP Rate Control

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 13:24, Varun Varma wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Take a setup as follows:
>
> Clients---->[eth0]Proxy/Firewall[eth1]---->Internet
>
> The clients are using the proxy/firewall for various client like
> activities like browsing, email, ftp etc. Most of the traffic is
> "download" traffic, i.e. clients send very small requests and recieve
> very large replies.
>
> I want to do the most common thing...configure download limits/fairness
> of use among the clients.
>
> I understand that I can achieve this by traffic shaping the *outgoing*
> traffic on eth0, but that is a less than optimal solution. The problem
> is that the link to the Internet can still get choked, if too many
> clients start pulling too much data. Traffic shaping on eth0 would limit
> the bandwidth each client sees and TCPs congestion control mechanisms
> *might* indeed slow down the download requests from clients, but this
> does not seem like a elegant way to achieve the result.
Why not?
The only problem you will have is the Proxy.  If you shape on eth0, you shape
cached objects and objects fetched from the internet.  But you don't want to
limit traffic that's cached.  So somehow you have to be able to separate
cached and non cached traffic.

> I am wondering if there is any implementation [or planned project] for
> TCP based rate control, like that provided by commercial solutions like
> PacketShaper and Sitara.
You can do the same (and even more) with a linux box.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"