Re: [LARTC] iproute2: gatewayed routes in ancillary tables

	Hello,

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Martin A. Brown wrote:

> It seems that unless a route to the gateway IP exists in the main routing
> table, I cannot add a route through the gateway IP, even if there is a
> route to the destination in the ancillary routing table.
>
> Why is this?

	Because when we create a route we need to know the
right scope to assign to the new nexthop. Once it is known we don't
need the route to the gateway (and you can delete it).
You can see that there is such comment in the code:

It is not necessary, but requires a bit of thinking

	IMO, this check is necessary because without seeing the
route to the gateway we can not know whether this gateway is:

- local IP (and the resulting route should be device-only, GW IP
is ignored)

- unicast IP (and the resulting route should be via device and GW IP)

	If you do not like this policy you can use static routes
to solve the problem.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>