Re: [LARTC] Proxy Arp question

On Sunday May 4 2003 04:56 pm, Martin A. Brown wrote:

....snip....

> Joseph--I have a question for you about how your shorewall box is
> detecting when you move a host from one interface to another?  I have been
> puzzling over ways to do this, and I believe I have stumbled on one, but I
> was hoping you might have already solved this problem.  Naturally, the
> shorewall box needs to know at all times the location of your roving host,
> so autodetection of the location of the box might be handy.
>
> -Martin

I tell it what hosts are in the dmz  ....  it does not autodetect.  I just add
the host to the shorewall config.

I have a question maybe you can help me with though:

Here is the working configuration of my testing firewall using proxy
arp:

    192.168.1.0/24

   eth0: 192.168.1.1
        Firewall
   eth1: 192.168.3.1

      192.168.1.2

There are the following routes used by proxy-arp:
 192.168.1.2 dev eth1  scope link
 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0  scope link

This moves host 192.168.1.2 from the public network to the dmz behind the
firewall.  Where I am confused is when I check the proxy_arp settings:

[]# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp
0
[]# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/proxy_arp
1
[]#

Why is proxy_arp not turned on for eth0??  Every howto I can find says to turn
on proxy_arp for both interfaces.

--
Regards

Joseph Watson