Re: [LARTC] Vlan classify

Lars,

 : I was wondering about splitting my Ethernet in different Vlan. But is
 : there any functionality in iptables, or any other tools, witch I can
 : use to match a specific Vlan?  I was thinking about marking this packet
 : and then classify it to a appropriate queue.

Lars--I haven't done much with VLANs under linux, however, my
understanding is that each VLAN appears as a separate interface.  For
example, let's say device eth2 is connected to a VLAN capable switch, and
is reading two different VLAN tags, 4 and 7.

The interfaces available in this configuration with the vconfig tool would
be eth2.4 and eth2.7.  Now, you should be able to use the names eth2.4 and
eth2.7 in your "tc filter" classification commands.

Again, I have not done this, so there may be oddities, but I would
recommend trawling the linux-vlan archives.

  http://ns1.wanfear.com/pipermail/vlan/

According to Ben Greear, the VLAN code works fine with bridging, so I
can't imagine that it would have a problem with traffic control....so try
it out and let the list know.

 : Another question is:
 : How many packages can a ordinary pfifo queue hold??
 : Say, packets that are used are full Ethernet frame.

The pfifo_fast qdisc has a txqueuelen (qlen) of 100 by default on all
systems I have checked.  Your system may vary.  You may alter the queue
length with either the "ifconfig" command or the "ip link" command.

# ip link show dev eth2
4: eth2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 100
    link/ether 00:50:ba:a4:4a:15 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
# ip link set dev eth2 qlen 50
# ip link show dev eth2
4: eth2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 50
    link/ether 00:50:ba:a4:4a:15 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
# ifconfig  eth2 txqueuelen 80
# ip link show dev eth2
4: eth2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 80
    link/ether 00:50:ba:a4:4a:15 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx