Re: [LARTC] Games Priority HELP pls ...

On Thursday 17 April 2003 11:49, lartc@xxxxx wrote:
> Hello! I have a problem with the priority of COutner Strike
> packets in a LAN with an internet connection !(I have 1Mbps UP
> (limited by me at 575(see below), 1Mbps DOWN) When a single
> user download to FULL bandwidth the COutnerstrike works great,
> but when other users join the LAN and start useing the
> Bandwidth ....Counter Strike begins to have a very high
> latency ....practically unplayable!! There is something wrong
> in this scripts??
>
> See the attach of this e-mail !I'm desperate to find
> what is the problem....HOW CAN I MAKE GAMES like COUNTER
> STRIKE, have full priority!!!
Some remarks.
- Do you see any errors about quantum if you execute dmesg?  Something like
quantum too big?  It's not something to worry about, but for some classes,
quantum is too big.  If have more information on the faq page on
www.docum.org.
- Using different prio for classes is fine IF you know what can go wrong.  If
you have a 10kbit class with low prio (so high priority) then that class will
have very low delays if that class is not overlimit (it's not sending more
then it's rate).  If the class is overlimit, the delays will be huge.  So to
be safe, give each class the same prio.  Prio is also used to distribute
remaining bandwidth (so after all child classes are given the configured
rate) from the parent to his child classes.  The class with the lowest prio
will get the remaining bandwidth.
- Adding a sfq qdisc to a leaf class is ok.  But sometimes a small fifo qdisc
is better.  A sfq is very good in giving each stream the same bandwidth.  But
for low delay classes, a fifo qdisc can be better.

Can you also check with tc -s -d class show dev eth0 that each class is
receiving packets so you are sure that your filters are working ?

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"