Re: [LARTC] load balancing multiple connections on different ports to one ip address

> On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 12:13, Linux RedHat wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am wondering if I can use traffic control to balance the traffic coming into
>> my computer in the following way...
>>
>>    +----------+   +----------+   +----------+      +----------+
>>    | Internet |   | Internet |   | Internet |      | Internet |
>>    | Server 1 |   | Server 2 |   | Server 3 | ...  | Server n |
>>    +----------+   +----------+   +----------+      +----------+
>>     Port ?????     Port ?????     Port ?????        Port ?????
>>          |              |              |                 |
>>          +--------------+------+-------+-----------------+
>>                                | eth1
>>                          +----------+
>>                          |   Linux  |
>>                          |  Router  |
>>                          +----------+
>>                                | eth0
>>                          +----------+
>>                          |   PC on  |
>>                          |   Lan    |
>>                          +----------+
>>
>> Multiple servers sending data to one pc on the lan using multiple ports. I want
>> to load balance the traffic leaving eth0 towards the PC based on the number of
>> connections.
>>
>> I am wondering if I will be able to set up classes/filters for a set number of
>> connections ( for arguments sake - say 10 connections ) regardless of what port
>> they are on and thus configure my tc setup to load balance those 10 connections
>> - allowing them to borrow from each other as usual.
>>
>> All I am looking for here is a short yes/no answer and possible a hint as to
>> what part of the howto to start looking at. I want to figure out how to do it
>> myself, but don't want to waste time trying if it is not possible.
>>
>> Thanks for your time spent reading/answering.
>>
>> Leigh
>
> hi leigh,
>
> checkout the linux virtual server page as well -- this is the exact schema
> discussed in the howto. (http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/)
>
> cheers
>
> christopher cuse

Thanks for that Christopher...

Unfortunately that's not quite what I am after :

The servers referred to in my diagram are not "known" servers. They could be any
servers e.g. public ftps, web sites etc. The virtualserver pages seem to be designed
for balancing the load on "known" servers while I want to balance the traffic *to*
the client which has connected to several previously undefined servers and is
downloading from each of them.

The purpose here is to prevent one server from sending so fast that it "hogs" the
bandwidth available on my internet connection.

An example would be that I am downloading via ftp from two servers where the first
server can send data at 200KB/s and the second server can only send at 50KB/s. My
internet connection can only handle 120KB/s so I want each connection to be
guaranteed 60KB/s but allow borrowing of bandwidth where available. (In reality I
will be implementing traffic control to allow for prioritising interactive traffic
and also balancing the load between multiple client PC's on the lan but for the
purposes of this discussion I am ignoring that part of the structure)

This is possibly a similar problem to sharing the bandwidth available to multiple
client pcs but on top of that sharing the bandwidth available to each pc among that
pc's active connections.

Hope that clarifies my project a bit... I have just realised that I used the term
"load balancing" in my original post and may have misled you. I meant "bandwidth
sharing".

Leigh