Re: [LARTC] Multiple gateways from multiple ISPs: how to add specificroutes?

Steen,

 : I have a box here with six ADSLs, two from each of three providers. The
 : system is setup in direct accordance with the configuration outlined in
 : the Nano-HOWTO.txt.

Damn!  That's a pile of DSL lines.

 : This means that I'd have to put in rules and/or routes that handles
 : these nets specifically and routes the traffic through the proper
 : gateway.

Why not use a technique like this, assuming that nexthops 111.1.1.1 and
112.1.1.1 are both connected to ISP 1's network?

# ip route add $ISP1_DNS/32 table 222 \
>          nexthop via 111.1.1.1  dev eth1 weight 1 \
>          nexthop via 112.1.1.1  dev eth2 weight 1

  OR, more generally,

# ip route add $ISP1_NET/$ISP1_NETMASK table 222 \
>          nexthop via 111.1.1.1  dev eth1 weight 1 \
>          nexthop via 112.1.1.1  dev eth2 weight 1

Now, you simply add a similar set of rules for each subnet inside the
provider which needs to be reached through a particular set of the ADSL
links.

Seems simpler than creating new routing tables and adding more entries to
the RPDB.  (I subscribe to the keep-it-simple-stupid philosophy of network
administration.)

 : Is this correct?

I don't know.

 : Is this the way to go?

I don't know.

 : What is "best practice" in this matter?

I don't know.

I sure hope somebody else on the list knows.

[ snipped "ip route" and iptables output ]

Thanks very much for the detailed description.....

Good luck--I imagine I'm not the only one who'd like to hear what you end
up doing.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx