[LARTC] concerning load sharing, failover, multiple means of egress

hi everyone,

i went thru the how-to and started into a configuration for a linux
router with 2 adsls connected. i created two routing tables, isp1 and
isp2 and the rules which assure that traffic to isp1 goes over isp1
link, etc. that all seems pretty clear.

where i am a bit unclear in testing was with the multiple path ip route
statement which leaves me with the following:

[root@xxxx ccuse]# ip route sh
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth1  scope link
192.168.0.0/24 dev eth0  scope link
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link
default
        nexthop via 192.168.0.10  dev eth0 weight 1 dead onlink
pervasive
        nexthop via 192.168.1.10  dev eth1 weight 1

from a few tests, everything seems to go out over the eth1 (192.168.1.1)
interface excepting packets destined for 192.168.0.0/24 (eth0)

could someone point me to more information on the meaning of "weight"
and its valid ranges.also, about the deterministic nature of interface
selection? in my example, there is no routing protocol, and the
assumption is that both interfaces could provide routes to the final
destination. given that, if an interface goes down, and the route is in
cache, what happens? is there a way to failover to the other interface?

many, many thanks!

christopher cuse