[LARTC] Bandwidth Shaping

I own a WIreless ISP and have recently began suppling bandwidth to college
dorms.  As I expected, 90% of the bandwidth they consume is downloading music
with programs such as Kazaa.  I would like to throttle this bandwidth, only as
needed.  As long as extra, unused bandwidth was present, the music folks
should be able to use it, but when a web or email user needed more bandwidth,
the music user should be throttled and the web user should access the Internet
at full speed.

I don't want to eliminate the music users ability to download music, I just
would like them to receive the "left over" bandwidth and not the "Lion's
share."

Is there a way to accomplish this with Linux?

I have reviewed several applications and appliances that claim to do this very
thing.  I would however like to find a cost effective Linux solution as
opposed to a $5000 packateer solution.

I beleive the only way to accomplish this is to look at the application layer
of the communication.  Limiting via port is not sufficent as Kazaa and many
other programs can be configured to operate on port 80.

Any and ALL help would be MUCH appreciated.