RE: [LARTC] Wondershaper updates.

Giles,

 : I think I'll use htbinit, seems the most understandable. Seems a waste
 : that people with lots of experience who are very into this stuff don't
 : compile all the findings into a generic script(s) with parameters that
 : any newbie can configure and benefit from.

The problem is a complex one.  If you have thoughts or suggestions about
how a script can be flexibly adapted to solve the problem, your voice is
welcome.  Wondershaper is an excellent example of a traffic control
solution to a niche problem.  It doesn't however address a more complex
scenario.

Your reasoning is exactly why wondershaper, cbq.init, htb.init, and my own
lousy htb-script [1] exist.  I'm sure there are others.  People have
vastly different needs for subdividing their bandwidth, hence the varied
scripts for dividing bandwidth.

Frankly, I believe that tcng [2] will allow people to write and share
traffic control solutions in a much friendlier way than can be
accomplished directly with tc.  So, once again, I recommend that anybody
starting to use traffic control under linux today start with tcng.  It
provides a more intuitive system for describing traffic control structures
than raw tc commands.  And, not only is it more intuitive, but tcng
removes the repetitive and arcane from the configuration.

If you make a traffic control solution which solves a general problem or a
class of problem, document it and post it somewhere, so the world can
benefit from your experience.

Anyway, good luck with htb.init.  It should be able to meet most of your
needs.

-Martin

 [1]  http://linux-ip.net/htb-script
 [2]  http://tcng.sourceforge.net/