Re: [LARTC] How far can TC go?

Randolph Carter wrote:

I have been working with HTB for around 10months; I've been testing it on
several enviroments and have had a good experience with. I'm Wondering if
if I could use HTB in a more agressive environment; and use some
feautures like layer-5-7 recogniction in order to bring a clever shaping.

Does somebody know if traffic control suplied by Linux could be compared
to the DTS supplied by CISCO; or if we can aim to do a job as dyband or
packeteer do?

Which are the limitations to our shaping system? Can we build a real
commercial solution?

Packeteer has various patents covering tcp rate control and everything else
they do, including the "idea" to look at upper layers to detect the type of traffic.
I live in germany so i don't really care that much about their patents (they had none
in europe last time i checked). last summer i started implementing tcp rate control
as qdisc for linux. i haven't worked on it for a couple of month now, but if anyone wishes
to participate i would be glad to dig out my source again. it is basically working, the
remaining problems are mostly how to detect and handle interactive traffic.

Patrick