Re: [LARTC] Routing fundamentals

Aigh!

Upon re-reading, I must add that the linuxvirtualserver.org link is not
appropriate in this answer.  Sorry for my confusion--please ignore the
Joseph.Mack LVS-HOWTO link for the purposes of this answer.

Apologies,

-Martin

 : Kjell,
 :
 : Let me try a slightly different tack.....one of the fundamental
 : differences between ipchains and iptables is identified and explored in
 : varying depths here:
 :
 :   http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//packet-filtering-HOWTO-10.html
 :   http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.netfilter_hooks.html
 :
 : [ Apparently, I wrote a similar statement about ipchains vs. iptables in
 :   July of last year...the beauty of a bad memory is that I can learn
 :   things anew by re-reading things I once knew! ]
 :
 :   http://lists.insecure.org/lists/firewall-wizards/2002/Jul/0228.html
 :
 : In ipchains, each incoming packet hit input, forward and output chains,
 : which only filtered packets (OK, OK, and masqueraded).
 :
 : In iptables, every incoming packet traverses the PREROUTING chains in the
 : conntrack (implicit), mangle and nat tables.  In the PREROUTING chains,
 : you have access to --in-interface (-i) $RECEIVE_IF.  In the PREROUTING
 : chain, an output interface makes no sense, because we have no idea about
 : where the packet is going!
 :
 : Now that the PREROUTING chain has been passed, we'll route!  After
 : routing, (and assuming the packet is bound for a non-local destination),
 : the packet will enter the FORWARD chain.  Now, we know both --in-interface
 : $RECEIVE_IF and --out-interface (-o) $TRANSMIT_IF, so both options can be
 : used.
 :
 : POSTROUTING is just about the last thing before the packet is handed off
 : to the much misunderstood traffic control system.  And in this
 : chain, you'll see nalogous behaviour...the --in-interface option is not
 : available.
 :
 : Does that answer your question?
 :
 : -Martin
 :
 :  : > > For a packet that is not for local host,
 :  : > > but comes in on one interface and goes
 :  : > > out on another;
 :  : (1)
 :  : > > Will that packet traverse PREROTING, FORWARD and POSTROUTING
 :  : > > on _both_ underface, or
 :  : (2)
 :  : > > will that packet traverse PREROTING, FORWARD and POSTROUTING
 :  : > > only once, where PREROTING is when a packet "is in" the incoming
 :  : > > physical interface, and is in FORWARD and POSTROUTING when
 :  : > > the packet "is in" the outgoing interfave?
 :  : > >
 :  : > Maybe this can help :
 :  : > http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/kptd/
 :  :
 :  : No. It would help if you told me what is right.
 :  : The figure I got from before, and really don't
 :  : rule out number one.
 :  :
 :  :