RE: [LARTC] Intelligent P2P detection

Hi,

Yes. I do it exactly the same way. Quota patch may be of some help, if we
want to limit more agressive users. Time patch is also of some use.

>   All what is left are P2P connections and some other misc connections.
>   A bit unfair for other protocol using non-standard ports, like Instant
>   Messenger style-software, and lots of other stuff.  So here we introduce
>   a trick.  IMs and other low bandwidth traffic will use small packets
>   ( < 512 or even < 256), P2P will use maximum MTA available (usually
>   1500, but I've seen some using 576 packets, hence i treat > 512 as P2P).

Prioitizing small TCP packets carying ACK's, SYN's and small payloads is
also a very good idea. Some other trick include prioritizing UDP and ICMP
packets (sometimes with more strict policy, like limiting packets/s or their
sizes). I didn't dive deeper because I was worried about CPU usage.

I use a mix of methods described above. But in some cases shaping systems
like dyband are better. I am looking for a free alternative.

RK