Re: [LARTC] Sorry about last post in HTML

George,

Sadly, traffic control is not "quick and easy" (yet).  It's far easier
than it used to be, though, so here's a quick checklist of things you can
do that should make it easier for you to get to where you want to go:

  - install kernel 2.4.20
  - get tc HTB from devik's site (http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/)
  - take a look at the wondershaper (http://lartc.org/wondershaper/)
  - take a look at my script (http://linux-ip.net/htb-script)

And take a stab at it.

Here's a quick run down of what I would do:

 DEV=eth1
 BANDWIDTH=1544kbit
 CAP=256kbit
 FWMARK=7
 tc qdisc add dev $DEV root handle 1: htb default 10
 tc class add dev $DEV  parent 1:1 classid 1:10 \
   htb rate $BANDWIDTH ceil $BANDWIDTH
 tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:10 handle 10: sfq perturb 10
 tc class add dev $DEV  parent 1:1 classid 1:20 \
   htb rate $CAP ceil $CAP
 tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:20 handle 20: sfq perturb 10
 tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 protocol ip \
   handle $FWMARK fw classid 1: 1:20

 iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -s 192.168.0.60 \
   -j MARK --set-mark $FWMARK

That should put only packets from 192.168.0.60 into the 1:20 class, which
has the capped bandwidth.

Others on this list may have better ideas about how to break up your
bandwidth to cap the bandwidth hog.

Good luck,

-Martin

 : Sorry about previous posting in HTML. Here it is in plaintext
 : --------------------------------------------------------------
 : Was wondering if someone can more or less come up with something
 : newbie'ish for me to quickly and easily limit
 : traffic to one host on my Nat'd network (192.168.0.60 for instance is
 : using 90% of the bandwidth most of the time in our
 : 12 machine network) mostly DCC's on IRC. Is there a quick and super
 : simple way to do it with tc/cbq etc ?
 :
 : eth0 - global interface to net (10mps card)
 : eth1 - local (to switch feeding NAT'd machines) (100mps card)
 :
 :
 : using a cable modem connect (2670 kbps downstream, 1156 kbps upstream,
 : measured via dslreports.com)
 :
 :
 : Need a way to limit bandwidth to one particular machine on the
 : 192.168.x.x network.Don't even need to divide up bandwidth
 : like most cbq tutorials discuss. I think it involves the ingress filter
 : but not sure. If someone could write a simple tc script that would
 : limit bandwidth to an ip (ie:192.168.0.61) on our network to say
 : 25-50k/s or there abouts. I've used the wondershaper script
 : here at home but no overly useful in the case of work and the need for
 : me to become a Bandwidth Nazi. I've used IPTraf and
 : it pretty much tells the tale.
 :
 :
 :