[LARTC] Routing + Proxying

Hi all,

I am hoping to set up a pair of web servers that sit behind a firewall.  The
firewall will have a single live ip address and the web servers will be
internal.  So my question is a simple one, which I doubt there is a simple
solution to (if any).... but that's why I'm asking. ;-)

In a simple setup of one firewall + one web server, the firewall would map
port 80 to the web server's port 80.

Would there be a way of 'splitting' or 'load balancing' the requests between
the two web servers such that one of the two following scenarios is possible
(or any others that you can think of):

1) Each web server hosts a limited number of web sites & the firewall
intelligently distributes the packets based on the requested url to the
respective web server.

2) Each web server hosts all web sites & the firewall intelligently
distributes whole requests to an individual web server.

I've looked into a proxy sitting on the firewall, but this seems to pose an
additional problem: if the DNS points at the firewall as the IP address for
the individual web site and the proxy is sitting at that address, how does it
know to relay the request internally (this is the part that I realise is not
LARTC-based).

Cheers,

Pete Mee.