[LARTC] Determining shape rate for multihomed route.

Hello,
I have a setup that looks like this:

|---------    |-----------------------|
| ADSL1  |----| Linux 2.4.20          |
|________|    | + static routes patch |     |-------|
              | + Masquerading        |-----| LAN   |
|---------    | + HTB on LAN egress   |     |_______|
| ADSL1  |----|_______________________|
|________|  /
           /
}-------| /
| ADSL3 |/
|_______|

I followed the "Nano-howto" to set up the load balancing and that seems to work just fine.

I have worked out some classes with HTB that would look nice for one external interface. I want to allow any lowpriority traffic to use all the bandwidth, from all three interfaces when nothing else is coming through.

Setting the shaping rate to the sum of ADSL1,ADSL2 and ADSL3 will (of course) not give satisfying results.

I would like to have some sort of shared rate between the external interfaces while still shaping on LAN egress (does this make sense). Preferably this would be combined with dead gateway detection, so that the $RATE cuts to half when one external interface is down.

Sending too much traffic out on one ADSL fills it's buffer and destroys latency, so I really do not wish for this to happen at all.

What would be the best way to determine the rate to shape at?

TIA,
Jussi Norlund
--
"To do is to be." - Socrates. "To be is to do." - Plato. "Skoo be do be do." - Sinatra.
1024D/805498C0