Re: [LARTC] ROUTING, POSTROUTING, & Traffic Control

Jeff,

[I rearranged your question a bit.]

 : Can I do this? If possible, can someone please give explicit details.

Yes.  In order to help you more, we'd need to know IP addresses, and also
a bit more about why you think you need to add more NICs.  Depending on
what your answer is to that question, we can make a recommendation on
whether you should simply use tc/fwmark with your existing hardware
configuration to perform your traffic control or whether you really need
to have more physical devices.

 : I have 2 machines (A & B) behind a Linux Firewall (FW).
 : I have 2 ethernet cards on the FW - eth0 talks to the internet, eth1 talks
 : to machines A & B.
 : Machine A has lots of inbound & outbound traffic while machine B doesn't.
 : It seems reasonable that I could add 2 new ethernet cards (eth2 & eth3) to
 : the FW and by configuring iptables and/or routing tables force traffic on A
 : to be handled by eth0/eth1 and traffic for B to be handled by eth2/eth3.

If you are looking at reserving a certain amount of bandwidth for machine
B while still allowing machine A the lion's share of the bandwidth, you
are looking at a simple HTB setup on your eth0.

I'd recommend reading up on HTB, queuing and so forth on the following
sites for documentation:

  http://lartc.org/howto/      # -- broad docs on linux traffic control
  http://www.docum.org/        # -- more hands on docs (and intro)

HTB software:

  http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/

In short, you can use "tc filter" to select based on fwmark, source
address, destination address, and a number of other criteria.  This will
allow you to place traffic from machine A or machine B into a particular
class, thus reserving bandwidth for each one.

Is that what you were looking for?

Good luck,

-Martin

--