Re: [LARTC] ACK matching

Hi

* he@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Thomas Graf wrote:
> >now, cause almost all packets have the ACK bit set this rule
> >matches all small packets with no ip options. it could be
> >done better with nexthdr to match packets with ip options
> >set too.
>
> Wouldn't it also be necessary to match the packets with ACK set + Data
> or aren't they as much important as the packets we are already matching?

	Read about biggy packing, most ACKs are sent within a data
packet to avoid too much overhead, further all data packets in a
transaction have the ACK bit set. You might want to look for a
more practical explanation about TCP than most books provide.

	To quote myself:
now, cause almost all packets have the ACK bit set this rule
matches all small packets with no ip options.

	I never tested if this rule actually improves anything, if
you do please let me know. I think it really depens on what kind
of protocols you use and the average use of your line.

	The match for 5 WORDS ip header len is not really needed because
you could match the ACK bit with help of the nexthdr feature w/o
taking care of possible ip options.

Hope that helps.

--
Thomas Graf